Tuesday 7 January 2014

Waar ben je, mijn vriend?

I saw the message on the last day of 2013. It was 17.00 (in Chile it is four hours earlier than here), and I was just checking my email as I usually do when I'm bored. There it was, the message. I couldn't believe it, I looked at the screen for the longest time, without moving. 

Where are you now? 

I remember the last day I saw you. I didn't speak so much with you because I was in a hurry to go in, and you were outside smoking. In a hurry, as if the world was about to end because I was late to something I didn't even need to do. 

Should I have stayed? Should I have talked to you more? 

I didn't know, Bart, I didn't know. I didn't see the darkness, I didn't imagine the oceans, the mountains. 

I am listening to your music now, are you here with me? Am I listening to what you saw?

What did you see Bart? Have I seen it too? I must have. I have sailed those oceans too, although I've come back many times. One is never the same after being there. The world is never the same. 

Why did you stay, Bart? Why did you not come back? 

I am not judging you, I am just trying to understand, I am just trying to go on with my life. You were all of us, in a way, and we were all you. On man is all men, Bart, and all men are one man. 

Did you cry Bart? Were you afraid? Did you see it, the void?

Now I must go, I must try to go back to my normal life. How can I laugh again? I have laughed, but it doesn't seem right. Once you dream of the sea, happiness does not seem possible anymore.

Follow the lights, Bart, follow them, you deserve it. And sleep, sleep calmly, close your eyes and, for once, forget about everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment