Wednesday 9 April 2014

Program notes

It is a very interesting experience to write program notes for one's music. I had to do it yesterday for the accordion pieces. It is always the question of how much to say regarding the intention, the content, etc. of the pieces. The ideal for me is not to say anything, but at the same time it is always nice to throw at least a little bit of rope to the listener, so that s/he can have a more interesting experience. In the end what I wrote is very brief, it says a lot (to me, at least) but it doesn0t say anything at the same time.
This work consists of a cycle of three smaller pieces, each of which explores a simple, concise musical idea.
The emotions we don't understand, the ones we cannot control, are, to me at least, the most honest part of our beings, of our souls.
The second part, for me, is the one that says most. I didn't know how to phrase it without making such a direct reference to the whole story behind the pieces. There is a story, there is something there, but I don't want the audience to know, or at least, I want them to convey their own stories  into the music, or not. I don't want to force anything. This is not late romantic music, this is me. It was my own story, but I think the music says enough, and the titles already say too much.

On another note, it's spring in Europe! I love spring, I love flowers everywhere, the warm wind that finally came after the darkness of winter. I love winter too, don't get me wrong, I love darkness, but I also love the sun, the heat, the flowers. There are so many flowers! I even took pictures during a walk yesterday. There are some trees close to my house that have pink flowers. Here are some of the pictures, sorry for the quality, but my mobile phone has a terrible camera (first world problems...).

This is a beautiful tree right next to my house

A canal in Rijswijk

Same canal

A very weird street on my way back home

The old town in Rijswijk

Some more beautiful trees


And the tree with pink flowers I mentioned, of all the pictures
I took, this one was the only one that came out well unfortunately...



No comments:

Post a Comment