Sunday 17 November 2013

Copland, Poulenc and Mendelssohn in The Hague

On Friday night I went with some friends to the Dr. Anton Philipszaal to watch the Residentie Orkest perform Appalachian Spring by Aaron Copland, the Concerto for Two Pianos by Francis Poulenc and the Scottish Symphony by Felix Mendelssohn. It was a nice concert, the repertoire was in general on the agreeable side and the orchestra was decent. I must only complain a bit of the acoustics of the hall. It was the first time I ever sat on the right-hand side balcony and I could barely hear a thing, I thought the pianists played very softly in the concerto, but it was more a problem of the hall. It is a real pity.

A rather epic depiction of Copland composing

I have never been a great fan of Copland, not because I dislike him personally, it's just that I have never been able to relate to his music. He is considered to be one of the most important figures in the development of a clearly American style of composing, which I think is really important, because it means that finally the so-called New World began having its own views of the European cultural legacy. For this I respect him very much and it is also an inspiration to me, since I am also a citizen of the lands beyond the Atlantic (I was born in Venezuela) and I still think we have a long way to go in speaking with our own voice, in recognizing the value of our own culture.

Peace to all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment